Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Security in Medellín


Photo #1: Medellín at night.

Photo #2: A homemade bomb going off in the distance.

Photo #3: From the subway station at the University of Antioquia.


I'm glad to have received a positive response so far...great! Well, for the first time since I arrived, I am sick to my stomach from some food I ate out...not too bad though. But it's typical. I have just received my first English students: two sweet little girls that speak quite well and are part of Carlos' massive family. Though it's not the dream job (NGO work), I like them and the pay is good and I have to do something until my Spanish improves (which it has been sslloowwllyy...).

I wanted to write about the security situation here. At any semi-important building or even shops or whole streets, there are private security guards at work. They regulate who comes in and out, etc. There are tons of police...it seems like on every corner. They stop traffic randomly to check what people are up to, etc. Sometimes, you can see groups of soldiers from the military (and I mean groups...10-20 soldiers) guarding areas, or buildings, and especially at night. For example, around their own military buildings, they shut down roads that are close by at night. They can be at events or just where the clubs are as well. Clearly they have weapons on their bodies. It's a bit freakish for me at times, but as of yet I still feel quite safe and have not seen anything too scary. At Carlos' university where he works, I have to register at the gate (everyone gets checked and searched) as a visitor and I also have to register my laptop (they usually check it when I leave). But once I'm in, they even check people at the library, which I don't like because every time I go in or out, I have to explain that I'm a visitor and explain what I am doing there. However, they do get quite lax at times and it makes me wonder what they're actually doing there.

Last Thursday, there was a conference at Carlos' university (University of Antioquia) about the American military bases that have been so controversial. Well it's more like the US wants to make use of Colombian military bases to help the country continue the fight on narcotics and "guerrillas". Plenty of people don't want American influence here, both locally and regionally (as I'm sure you can imagine). So after the conference, some students were protesting and started setting off homemade bombs on campus and in surrounding areas. At that point we left because it was getting loud and I am American and all (though I tell most people I'm Swedish to keep a low profile ;) ). The police started closing streets around the university. Come to find out later, they were keeping these bombs in one of the bathrooms at the university and while they were getting more out, one student got his arm blown off! I guess a few years ago, students were protesting and 2 or 3 were killed due to a similar type of accident. But the kicker is, the students involved are now getting charged for committing terrorist acts. Again, anything you say against the government here and you're immediately labeled as a "guerrilla" or "terrorist". Fuck that. There is tons of graffiti in the street against the "imperialist Americans". I've seen mostly ones that say: "No bases gringas" or "no bases imperialistas"...I personally think it's a bad idea as well. It just makes Colombia a bigger target for disgruntled neighbors. ;)

Carlos' nephew is in the military, doing his mandatory service and we are going to see him at his base on Saturday. ;) Should be interesting. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sandy!

    Glad you are posting your experiences here for all of us to check out. As you know, I am a big fan of blogs!!

    Looking forward to reading and seeing more from you in Columbia.

    Diga a Carlos hola, y fue excellente que nos vimos aqui en Colorado. Buena suerte chica!!

    ReplyDelete